Updating Joomla 1.7 to 2.5 post image

Updating Joomla 1.7 to 2.5

Posted on:

Yeh, I really should have updated a 1.7 site by now but it comes down to getting the time, and I have the time now as I move sites onto a new server.

So how did I update. I started by doing the obvious, Googling it, and then read a few answers to see what was the best way. With the new versions of Joomla, you are meant to be able to go to Extensions Manager, and to the Update tab, and there will be an update there for you to select and install.

That was never there for me on any of the sites I updated, so I couldn’t do it that way. If you have a 1.5 site there are a lof of handy update components that work, like jUpgrade, but I couldn’t find any which work with 1.7.

I ended up following these instructions http://docs.joomla.org/Upgrading_from_Joomla_1.7_to_Joomla_2.5 specifically spet 2, point 2, Install From a Directory. Here are the steps i did.

  1. Do a backup! I downloaded all my files onto Localhost and got a copy of the database and put it on localhost as well so that nothing I was about to do was live.
  2. Go to the update url and find the update package. http://joomlacode.org/gf/project/joomla/frs/?action=index
  3. I downloaded Joomla_2.5.14-Stable-Update_Package.zip
  4. Go to your joomla files and into tmp and make a new folder, I called mine update, and extract the update package.
  5. Now login to the backend of your localhost joomla site and go to Extension Manager.
  6. In the second option, Install From Directory put a / after tmp and then your update package location, so mine was tmp/update
  7. Click Install. This should install Joomla 2.5
  8. I didn’t have any database issues but if you do just follow the instructions on the joomla docs.
  9. Install your modules and components by going to the Discover tab.
  10. If you have some issue, clear your browser cache and that sorted mine.

Issues.

At first I though everything was ok, and most of it was, but I had lost some menu items, articles and modules. Im not sure why, and some things that were in the trash were now live but it was easy enough to fix. I just opened up my database sql file and found the articles I was missing or you could just create new ones and copy and paste from your current live site. Either way I had my new 2.5 site up and running within a couple of hours.

The next stage is updating to 3.5 🙂